Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Glass Challenge - Unplug your Kids

This weeks challenge from Unplug your kids was Glass. I had a bit of a hard time thinking of something when I remembered this craft from Boookhou Craft Projects using Plastic plexi glass and making a print. I didn't have any plastic so we used Glass sheets from inside photo frames to do ours.
Get your resources - Paint, Paper, Glass

Swirl paint around and/or draw pictures in the paint

Softly Press paper down on glass and then peel off

Our finished artwork

We ran out of paper so used Kitchen Paper Towel - I like the effect it made! These were all made by the children ( I pressed down the paper for them and lifted it though as their hands were really messy.)


Of course after telling the children to be very careful and not touch the edges of the glass, while I was washing the glass to get the paint off - I cut my hand!! So maybe if you want to do this craft using glass, put some tape on the edges to protect little hands (or mummy's hands!)

I was surprised at how good this craft went. We did it after school (the only time my kids are allowed to watch tv for an hour ) and they said this is better than tv! ( I had to convince them to do it in the first place) They said it was relaxing to swirl the paint around on the smooth glass.

I was so happy that they understood an art principle for the first time - that if you did a picture with your finger it will not print that area - in essence doing lino prints!! Anyway I was very happy with this one - perfect for my 5 and 7 year olds. The two year old had a ball painting all over her body and generally making a mess everywhere.

This weeks Challenge: Flat

12 comments:

Gottfredsen said...

Very neat project

Anonymous said...

Those prints turned out great! My girls would love this -- I like the paper towel effect too. :)

Jan said...

Good job Bobbie. So great what you do as a mother.

Anonymous said...

Great prints you guys made. Good safety tip, thanks!

mylittlegems said...

I love your blog and so I linked it also :) love this Glass Challenge- might try it but my kiddos are a bit young!

Anonymous said...

They look awesome!

Garden State Kate said...

Looks great! We do this off of paper too..especially when my P uses too much paint on one of her paintings.
;-)

chelle said...

So wonderful. We did nothing this week since we have been on the road. Love the safety tip. M

ps Flat? humm.

Michie said...

This looks like fun - I might have to try it with my daughter.

When you are all finished, you can put the picture and the glass back in the frame, and frame it! :)

Janell said...

I have missed your blog!! (seeing the school uniforms in the background .... Australia Sick!!! We have GOT to come and visit soon!)

Robyn said...

Those look great!

Peterson Party said...

Hi. I love your project and am going to have to try it with Arin soon. For our stained glass vases, we used Kelly's Glass Stain http://www.kellyscrafts.com/results.cfm?catid3=1562
I looked into using regular glass paint, but all of them said they are known to cause birth defects. I am pregnant and I don't want Arin to breathe toxic fumes either, so those types of paint were out. This stained glass paint is non-toxic.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...