Monday, October 20, 2008

Wax Challenge - Unplug Your Kids

Last weeks theme at Unplug Your Kids was Wax. Remember the previous Smooth challenge? I wanted to make stained glass windows but didn't have any WAX paper... so this theme was for me!! I went out and bought some WAX paper straight away so we could correct last weeks challenge!!

Take Wax paper (Shiny side up - learn from our mistakes ;) and grate wax crayons onto paper. We didn't have any wax crayons - (or I couldn't find them) so we used Oil Pastels/crayons and they worked great!!



Fold Shiny sides together and Iron (note* it melts very quickly!! You do not need a hot iron.. in fact I turned mine off after burning a piece and it worked great with a warm iron turned off)


Enjoy your Artwork - these turned out great and Wax paper is my new best friend.. You can melt anything between the paper - dried flowers, glitter etc (*edit a few people have tried leaves and they are too thick and it doesn't work - so maybe stick to glitter and crayon)


Miss 7's Christmas piece she thought out very carefully which colours she wanted.


This weeks Challenge - Thin

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty and sparkly, the best kind of project.

Unknown said...

Lovely! And your Miss 7 is quite correct in making a Christmas themed one - they would make lovely Christmas window decorations!

Treff said...

Cool! I couldn't find wax paper in Germany so I am glad it is at least available in yours! The finished projects are impressive and seem so easy to do!

Janell said...

I love this stuff!!

amy said...

That looks like fun!

Jan said...

I haven't thought about that one in years. Those are so fun and turn out so cute. I am thinking Christmas something around here for Mattie to do.

Anonymous said...

That is really pretty! Thanks for the advice about the shiny side, and the iron temperature. We'll have to add this to our "to try" list.

I am wondering about the wax paper we have here in the U.S. When I was a child we did all sorts of ironing crafts with wax paper, but I tried it once with my kids (leaves) and it really didn't stick. I have heard similar complaints from others, so perhaps it is different now than it used to be?

Perhaps I'll just have to order my wax paper from Australia!

So Smrt said...

We can't wait til Christmas...the green and red one came out great! I'll have to figure out whether I have a working iron in the house. :) Yes, I'm serious.

Michie said...

I never even thought of wax paper! How perfect! The stained glass looks great!

So Smrt said...

Heeheehee! I live in fear of the day my husband quits his job as an electrician and becomes a businessman. We are suited to eachother. :)

We did some wax projects too (not involving the iron), but I haven't posted yet. Maybe soon...

Calamity Cookie said...

Lovin the idea Bobbie :) Petal is always collecting leaves and flowers so it'd be really nice to press them in wax paper with some glitter. Go wax paper!!!

chelle said...

Such a great idea. LOVE all your ideas. m

Anonymous said...

Great job on the "stained glass". We made some too. It wasn't as easy as I had anticipated, but it sure was fun. Aren't these challenges a lot of fun?

Wilson Family said...

so i made the same kind of things with different colors of autumn leaves- the wax paper didn't stick so well. i can't remember how we did it when i was small but it always turned out a whole heck of a lot better than this try! another trick about the iron is to place a thin rag over the wax paper just in case the iron is too hot! we miss you bobbie- take care.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...