Monday, July 27, 2009
From the Cupboard - entirely!!
I saw a friend's facebook status that said - flour, sugar, canned pineapple = cake even the kids can make.
That got me interested, so I googled it - and guess what it is true!!
I have very few recipes that are ENTIRELY from the cupboard... meaning No eggs, butter, milk, cream cheese etc!! I like the thought of knowing atleast a few recipes incase of having to eat that food storage :) and this one is YUM!!
Easy Pineapple Cake
For the cake:
1 can crushed pineapple, undrained (I used regular pineapple pieces)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
For the glaze
2 tablespoons pineapple juice (reserved from tin)
1 cup icing sugar
1. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, sugar and vanilla.
2. Gently mix in the undrained can of crushed pineapple. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the pineapple juice to use in the glaze.
3. Pour into a greased and floured 9×13 pan.
4. Bake 35-40 minutes (until the center is set). Let cool for 5-6 minutes.
5. Pour the glaze over the hot cake.
It does taste best warm
It can go a bit rubbery (no eggs or butter etc) but I still liked it
It was a little too sweet (OH those US recipes!!) with all that sugar, I found a similar Australian recipe that said just 1 cup of sugar.
I used half brown sugar, half white and used half whole meal flour and half white and tasted yum.
VERY EASY and made my - no yummy food in the house, and lack of ingredients, but I have a craving for something sweet Saturday :)