Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Now is the time.

Gathering my little ones


It's funny when you see a theme emerging in front of your eyes.

Is this how God answers prayers you haven't even uttered?


This comment from this talk at Conference struch a chord with me.


The world will teach our children if we do not, and children are capable of learning all the world will teach them at a very young age. What we want them to know five years from now needs to be part of our conversation with them today. Teach them in every circumstance; let every dilemma, every consequence, every trial that they may face provide an opportunity to teach them how to hold on to gospel truths.




Teach your children NOW what you want them to know/do 5 years from now!!


On facebook recently a friend asked at what age is it ok to let your kids go to the park alone.

A friend of hers whom I dont even know said:

"You know your kids - if you think they're ready, they probably are. Don't wait until you feel completely comfortable for them to be out of your sight, or it will never happen!"


I've blogged previously how I  have been dabbling in a bit of free range for my (older) kids and (still have FAR to go) but the benefits have been tremendous. For both them and me. This mans comments hit me hard. Sometimes we DO have to get out of our comfort zones. Sometimes we DO have to be the one to start something. Sometimes we DO have to be the one to reach out to others. Sometimes we have to teach our children things so they can be ready to bear hard things upon their shoulders.


These two snippets of advice in the last few weeks seriously just jumped out at me amongst all the other words around. Like they appeared bold and bright before my eyes.


I need to teach my children at their level now what I want them to be doing in 5 years time. Scarily enough Miss K will be a teenager then!! (oh help me please a house full of teenage girls!!)

This advice hasn't come at a better time

A prayer I hadn't even uttered has been answered.

I want to teach self reliance. I want them to be able to walk alone with a purpose. I want them to be chaste in their thoughts and deeds. I want them to know and love their bodies and the science behind it (ie a better knowledge of the birds and the bees). To know the sacredness and importance of being women . I want them to be strong. I want them to be able to cook. I want them to be able to clean. I want them to be able to sew. I want them to be helpful to others around them. I want them to know they can always rely on their parents. I want them to be able to work without being directed. I want them to be kind and loving and look out for eachother. I want them to be smart and safe. To value choices and to understand consequences for those choices.


Now is the time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...