Thursday, February 21, 2008

If you thought today was bad, you should have seen Yesterday..



As you all know we walk, we walk alot. Most of the time my lovely girls are very patient with the fact that we don't have a car for us to drive in. We can spend anywhere from 1 hour - 5 hours a day walking depending where we are going. However some days they have just had enough!!


I have stories a mile long about days where they just can't do it, but I am only going to tell todays and yesterdays. Yesterday was parent teacher interview day. The teachers were very optimistic in placing parents into 10 minute slots. Since I have 2 children I had interviews at 3:50 and 4:10pm. Well the optimisim didn't work out and we ended up being at school 30 mins more than we thought. It was almost 5pm by the time we set off for home.


Cheerful children that were happily playing in the school playground for an extra hour turned into whining, crying, tired MONSTERS! Anika could just not go on, she was so tired. I spent time coaxing, begging, pleading that she walk home... we have no other alternative and I dont have a mobile, so can't call anyone to help us. She plonked herself down on the ground numourous times saying she can't walk anymore. I was pulling her up and carrying her. I even got a few laughs out of a truck driver who was parked on the side of the road and gave me a pity glance.


In the end she ended up on my back for half the walk home and on my shoulders for a few minutes until I begged that she get down as my neck was going to snap. It is very hard to push a pram and hold a child up on your shoulders hoping they don't fall. When we finally got home after a mammoth 30 min trek I was exhausted, and when Ken arrived home at 6pm I said where were you half an hour ago! In the end I found out she had many infected mosquito bites on her legs and didn't feel very well, so I felt guilty for all my pleading and telling her off.


Today I cleared out the basket on the pram and due to not being able to wear shoes because of her bites, she deemed the ground too hot to walk on and promptly hopped in the basket contortionist style and relaxed for the long walk home.


I just tell myself... I can't afford to or have time to go to the gym... this is my gym... this is my gym.... this is my gym..

or some kind of torture!

2 comments:

Janell said...

I am so so sorry. I admire you for getting out there and walking everywhere. I think I would only do the bare minimum of going to and from school. Everytime I have a hard time getting the kids into the car I am going to think of this story and count my blessings.

This Girl loves to Talk said...

it honestly isnt that bad.. this was just a bad day so far this year... it is quite relaxing walking in the rain... well, i think i eat too much food, so if i didnt walk this much i would probably need to walk more... catch 22...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...