Saturday, September 11, 2010

Family Week - Just the two of us



You can’t always get what want.

As a youth I never wanted kids, I wanted to be the breadwinner, I didn’t understand why the man got to go out and work when I was just as capable. I am much older and wiser now and have been so for quite some time. I did plan to wait for a while after getting married before having children. However, here I am, five years later, childless and with a husband that has been out of work for nearly 3 years.


I have almost lost hope of having kids, and that saddens me. I’ve moved through the clucky demanding stage into indifference. But I always remember in this moment that with God nothing is impossible, if we but reach and take His hand.


I have no doubt that as I live the commandments and strive towards being Christlike that I will have the opportunity to be a parent. I want it now, when I’m honest about it and not suppressing my pain. But I know that for what ever reason Heavenly Father is giving my husband and I what we need to grow and learn and be prepared to be the best parents we can be. I count that a real privilege, Gosh the kids in store for me must be real terrors or really special.


I must add that not all my time is spent moping and being pained about my childless state and the illness that leaves me this way. My husband and I are learning to be a partnership and setting our house in order so that when the time is right we will be ready and not hesitate. We also have fun from time to time too :)

The proclamation to the family is particularly sweet to me because it takes into account everyone – it doesn’t compromise on the position of family but recognises that not every one is the same and nor should they be expected to be.



So you can’t always get what you want, but you get what you need.



When someone cares, song of the heart
You can’t always get what you want, rolling stones
Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation, proclamation to the world.
D&C 93:43


Q is a guest blogger who is currently moving her blog from blogspot to her own .mac domain. Further details will be available on thisgirllovestotalk in the coming months for those who are interested in following her exploits.

2 comments:

BindiM said...

Wow. I think I know Q! Is she in your ward now? Small world.

Anonymous said...

Yes Bindi, I'm in her ward. Just bought an apartment so looks like it will be for a while.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...